Chicken machboos is the national dish of Kuwait. A luxurious dish of rice crowded with chicken, spices and sometimes
dried fruits and nuts. It is a popular Arabic recipe in the UAE as well!
This is a great dish for family gatherings where it served in huge amounts.
If you want to spend time with your guests instead of running around cooking food in the kitchen, chicken machboos is the perfect choice. Simply leave it cooking on the stove and join the party!
When it comes to flavours, every spoonful of chicken machboos is a royal indulgence. To bring the best of flavours in a chicken machboos – you need the Baharait spice mix, readily available in Arabian stores.
This melange of spices adds the unique piquancy to the rice while the rose water in it makes it pleasing to the nose and tongue alike.
Dried black lime is a must in this dish, giving it a pleasant tartness.
• 3 cups basmati rice, wash, soak in cold water and drain
• 1 ½ kg chicken, halved
• 3 tbsp butter
• 3 tbsp rose water
• 2 tsp Baharait spice mix
• 3 onions, finely chopped
• 3 tomatoes, quartered
• 1 green pepper
• 2 dried black limes
• ¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped
• 1 tsp chopped ginger
• 1 garlic clove
• 1 tsp cardamom powder
• 1 tsp cumin powder
• 1 ½ turmeric powder
• 2 tsp cinnamon powder
• ¼ cup lemon juice
• 3 tsp salt
• Mix the garam masala, cumin, cardamom and turmeric powder along with some salt in a small bowl.
• Rub the mixture of spices all over the chicken pieces and set aside.
• Sauté onions in heated oil, along with the black limes and pepper.
• Add the spiced up chicken halves to it and turn it over a number of times.
• Sprinkle some cinnamon powder and the remaining spices into the mixture and coat the chicken pieces with them.
• Cover and cook for a couple of minutes over moderate heat.
• Stir in the tomatoes, ginger, garlic and remaining salt; cover to cook for another 3 minutes.
• Pour in water, cover again and simmer for an hour until the chicken becomes tender.
• Spread the coriander leaves a few minutes before sieving out the chicken from the pan.
• Transfer the chicken into a greased baking dish and sprinkle the residual cinnamon.
• Drizzle some oil over it, put it in the oven and grill for until it attains a golden hue.
• Meanwhile, stir in the rice to the broth and cook over low flame until it absorbs the broth completely and is cooked properly.
• Add a splash of rose water and lemon juice over the rice and spoon the butter pieces on it.
• Cook for half an hour on low heat.
• Spread the rice on a plate and top it up with the grilled chicken.
• Serve hot